I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that we all put on a different persona when we're in public.
We want people to like us, so we can act how we think they want us to act.
But what about when we're by ourselves? That's when our true colors show.
It's what we do behind hidden doors that genuinely reflects our character.
The following when no one is watching quotes explore what it means to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Read on and enjoy!
What You Do When No One is Watching Quotes
1. “Work like you don’t need the money. Dance like no one is watching. And love like you’ve never been hurt.” — Mark Twain
2. “You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching, Love like you’ll never be hurt, Sing like there’s nobody listening, And live like it’s heaven on earth.” — William W. Purkey
3. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West
4. “Do the right thing, even when no one is watching. It's called integrity.”
5. “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” — Bernard M. Baruch
6. “May you always work like you don’t need the money; May you always love like you’ve never been hurt; and may you always dance like there’s nobody watching.” — Jack Canfield
7. “Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.”
8. “If you can dream it, then you can do it! You may only be one person, but you may as well make a difference while you’re here on earth.”
9. “Go out in the world and work like money doesn’t matter, sing as if no one is listening, love as if you have never been hurt, and dance as if no one is watching.” — Victor Hugo
10. “Do good even if no one is watching you and do it as if everyone is watching you.” — Israelmore Ayivor
11. “Everyone is watching you. If you don't believe it, just pretend to fail and you'll see many mockers. For this reason, work hard as if you are doing everyone's business!” — Israelmore Ayivor
12. “You don’t have to be angry, you don’t have to be too cool for school. You can just have a good time and dance like no one’s watching. Just enjoy life.” — Brendon Urie
13. “Live like you’ll die tomorrow, work like you don’t need the money, and dance like nobody’s watching.” — Bob Fosse
14. “It is about what you do when nobody is watching. Can you always stay on your grind, or are you only a star when the lights are on you and everybody is watching?” — Jan Warner
15. “You gotta do it even if no one's watching or even if everyone is. Even if no one's appreciating or everyone is, it was you who wanted to be what you're working for. People's participation can affect your emotions, but should not affect your success.”
16. “Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you’ve never been hurt and live like it’s heaven on Earth.” — Brene Brown
17. “There is no better time than right now to be happy. Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don’t need money. Love like you’ve never been hurt, and, Dance like no one’s watching.”
18. “Life is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don’t need money. Love like you’ve never been hurt and dance like no one is watching.”
19. “The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.” — John Wooden
20. “I know that you’re not supposed to think about dancing – what is that stupid expression, Sing like no one’s listening, dance like no one’s watching? – whatever.” — Ned Vizzini
RELATED: Giving It Your All: 101+ Greatest “Trying My Best” Quotes
Work When No One is Watching Quotes
21. “The hardest thing to do is work hard when no one is watching.” — Ray Lewis
22. “The harder you work when nobody's watching, the less you bleed when it's time to perform.” — Brandon Jennings
23. “Put in the work when nobody's watching so you can show em how easy it looks while they watching”
24. “Live like you'll die tomorrow, work like you don't need the money, and dance like nobody's watching.” — Bob Fosse
25. “Do one thing every day that scares you.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
26. “Winners embrace hard work. They love the discipline of it, the trade-off they’re making to win. Losers, on the other hand, see it as punishment. And that’s the difference.” — Lou Holtz
27. “If your dream is a big dream, and if you want your life to work on the high level you say you do, there’s no way around doing the work it takes to get you there.” — Joyce Chapman
28. “Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” — Pele
29. “Work hard in the day; as hard as you can even if no one is watching you! Work harder in the night; as harder as if everyone's eyes are on you.” — Israelmore Ayivor
30. “You can't have a million-dollar goal with a one-dollar work ethic.”
31. “You will never be successful if you are not willing to do what others won't do. You must be willing to work hard for what you want, and then work harder than anyone else on the same task. Keep going when everyone else gives up.”
32. “Success isn’t always about greatness. It’s about consistency. Consistent hard work leads to success. Greatness will come.” — Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
33. “The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.” — Proverbs 13:4, ESV
34. “When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.” — Theodore Roosevelt
35. “Success is not a destination, it’s a journey.” — Zig Ziglar
RELATED: 60+ Deep And Meaningful Oak Tree Quotes
When No One is Watching Quotes on Success
36. “My success was due to good luck, hard work, and support and advice from friends and mentors. But most importantly, it depended on me to keep trying after I had failed.” — Mark Warner
37. “Diligence is doing the work right even when there's no one watching you.” — Jeromy Shingongo
38. “We think, mistakenly, that success is the result of the amount of time we put in at work, instead of the quality of time we put in.” — Ariana Huffington
39. “Greatness is sifted through the grind, therefore don't despise the hard work now for surely it will be worth it in the end.” — Sanjo Jendayi
40. “Doing great work is a struggle. It's draining, it's demoralizing, it's frightening – not always, but it can feel that way when we're deep in the middle of it.” — Ryan Holiday
41. “To achieve anything we must grind, but to enjoy anything we must flow.” — Chris Matakas
42. “The fastest way to get what you actually want in your life is to drop the false belief that you must continue to wait in order to have it.” — Richie Norton
43. “Execusion is easy. Dreaming is hard. You have to be able to go beyond reality and allow fantasy/imagination to transform you into something or someone extraordinary.” — Lebo Grand
44. “Before we too can move mountains, we must learn to walk the daily grind, one quiet step at a time. We must learn to serve before we can lead.” — Sebastien Richard
45. “I know the price of success: dedication, hard work and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
46. “If you work hard and meet your responsibilities, you can get ahead, no matter where you come from, what you look like or who you love.” — Barak Obama
47. “I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but should get you pretty near.” — Margaret Thatcher
48. “At the end of the day, you put all the work in, and eventually it’ll pay off. It could be in a year, it could be in 30 years. Eventually, your hard work will pay off.” — Kevin Hart
49. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” — Winston S. Churchill
50. “I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.” — Herbert Bayard Swope
51. “Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others.” — Roy T. Bennett
52. “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.” — Mark Twain
53. “It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.” — Leonardo da Vinci
54. “A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” — Bob Dylan
55. “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” — Robert F. Kennedy
56. “At the end of the day, let there be no excuses, no explanations, no regrets.” — Steve Maraboli
57. “Eighty percent of success is showing up.” — Woody Allen
RELATED: 145 Go Harder Quotes To Push You To Your Limits
Which When No One Is Watching Quotes Are Your Favorites?
It is important to be aware of the things we do when no one is watching.
As the saying goes, “character is what you do when nobody is looking.”
These quotes provide some food for thought on the subject. Are we our best selves when we think no one is watching? It is something to ponder.
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends!
Also, do let us know which of these when no one is watching quotes stuck with you the most, and comment them down below!
I'm a full-time freelance writer with a love for writing self-improvement, relationships, mental health, and lifestyle articles. Check out my other articles here on Subconscious Servant, or also Thought Catalog (that’s where I express myself in a more creative form ✨).