In today’s article, you are going to find out the meanings and various uses of Howlite.
We are going to cover why and how you can use Howlite, and what are its meanings and (metaphysical) properties.
Howlite is a borate mineral composed of irregular nodules and a monoclinic structure. Before being tumbled it has a porous texture and is also known as Magnesite.
Its color is chalky white with dark veins, but it can also be colorless.
Why Use Howlite Crystal in Your Life?
Howlite is linked to patience and perspective, and as such it has excellent calming properties, especially when it comes to sleep and dreams.
This chalky white stone is known to release emotional attachments, stop self-criticism, help divine attunements and interventions.
Howlite is great for battling insomnia and improving one’s motor and verbal skills.
It opens up Crown chakra and helps get in tune with one’s own soul and divine mission.
This gemstone releases resentment and festering anger, it brings upon a calm and relaxed state of mind.
Howlite’s gentle color helps put mind at ease and align chakras with frequencies of higher realms.
It’s also called ‘angel stone’ because of its properties and its color that is associated with the color of angel wings.
Howlite is also known to boost the wearer’s confidence and help with negative inner monologues that include harsh criticism of others and oneself.
Putting Howlite on books, wallets, pillows, or other items can infuse them with its properties and energize them for better and easier use.
Howlite is a stone of compassion, too. It’s a gentle reminder that we need to be kinder and gentler in our daily interactions with others, and especially with ourselves.
It’s a popular belief that all humans are born with guardian angels and co-walkers (totem animals), Howlite helps us open up to angelic/totem messages and enhances our intuition preventing us from making bad decisions or making wrong choices on our life’s journey.
Howlite is a very useful stone that can have passive, yet very powerful effects on our lives, especially after prolonged and regular use.
This is why it also needs to be cleansed regularly.
The best (and safest) way to cleanse your Howlite is to put it under flowing water for at least 2 minutes every now and then, or if you use it daily, every day before going to sleep.
Howlite, like any gemstone, works best and for our utmost good, when properly cared for and regularly cleansed, so make sure not to slip this from your mind, make it a part of your daily routine if you use this gemstone often.
The Meaning of Howlite
Howlite was named after Henry How, the scientist who discovered this gemstone in 1868, after finding deposits of the crystal in Nova Scotia.
It’s a beautiful white stone that represents the qualities of peacefulness, tenderness, and open-mindedness.
Howlite has other names as well, the most popular one being Snow Leopard Stone, for its resemblance to the fur of the beautiful, big cat residing in Central and South Asia – and likely because these majestic creatures also make a striking howl.
There’s another symbolism in its color; Howlite’s snow-white exterior is also connected to the winter season when most mammals go into hibernation mode and magical work turns inwards rather than outwards.
This is an integral process of spirituality (and duality), in order for there to be light, there has to be dark, too.
So, while we’re in the ‘dark' part of the year, it’s time for shadow and transformation work, for which Howlite is the master stone.
Howlite can slow down mundane and physical processes for the sake of heightened spiritual and emotional upgrades.
He helps get the mind into the ‘zone’ and achieve greater leaps on the etheric level than in regular conditions.
The Amazing Howlite Stone Benefits
Howlite is one of those stones that have many benefits, like Clear Quartz.
It’s very versatile and it can be used to enhance a plethora of benefits.
Some of the most famous and well-known benefits are:
- Howlite is very useful in divination. It can help with receiving of channeled messages and being able to understand them clearly and express them meaningfully. It’s a very useful stone for mediums and fortune-tellers.
- Howlite helps with meditation. It’s an excellent stone for people who have trouble with overthinking. Howlite quiets down the mind and helps one to achieve that mental clarity that can be experienced through proper breathing.
- Howlite helps with a better understanding of yourself, those around you and the world in general. It provides the gift of wisdom and comprehension. It removes blockages that obscure truths from you.
- Howlite will improve your strength of will and character and give you the necessary courage and power to cut ties with those who’re not serving your highest good anymore. It releases toxic people and relationships from your life.
- Howlite is an excellent remedy for challenging aspects in the natal chart. Especially for challenging aspects to the Moon and Venus (like squares and oppositions). It eases the effects of malefic planets and fortifies the effects of benefic ones.
- Howlite eliminates arrogance, holier-than-thou attitude and misunderstandings that stem from ignorance. It’s truly an ‘enlightening’ stone for a reason.
- Howlite is a perfect stone for people who have Retrograde Mercury in their natal charts, for Howlite reduces the ill effects and eases the influence of this retrograde planet.
- Howlite balances one’s Yin and Yang energies; it boosts creativity and passion if the person is too passive, and brings peace and calmness if a person is overactive.
Metaphysical Properties of Howlite
Aside from (very) practical uses, the Howlite stone has many metaphysical uses, too.
Some of the most prominent are:
- Howlite is an amazing cleanser of negative energies, properties and entities; it rids the space (and a person) of negative vibes, influences and ill wishes cast upon by others, consciously or unconsciously.
- Howlite connects its wearer to the higher realms and retains those connections for as long as the wearer needs it to. The wearer is able to download new insights, knowledge and information.
- Howlite opens up the Crown and 3rd Eye chakra; it connects its wearer to his past lives and learned lessons so that he doesn’t repeat the challenges that come with the lessons.
- Howlite, when properly cared for, can bless an object or a person who is wearing it. It sharpens intuition and clears the path in front of its wearer. It’s a very useful stone for all who dabble in the occult and metaphysical.
How to Use Howlite in Your Life
There are many possibilities and ways to use Howlite in your life, and most of them are very basic and simple.
You can get it in the form of jewelry (necklace, earrings, rings, bracelet) and wear it as a cool accessory.
You can get it in the form of geode and place it in your sacred space or meditation room/bedroom.
Since Howlite helps with peaceful sleep and meditation practice – it can be very useful in the form of a geode and easier to take care of.
You can get it in its raw form and place it on your altar, your books, in your wardrobe, your drawers, in your pillows, and even on your yoga mat, as this gemstone has cleansing and blessing properties.
It will infuse your objects with its frequency and vibration and help them be of the best use to you.
Also, if you’re having doubts about the sincerity of a gift, you can place it in Howlite’s care for some time before actually using it.
You can place a bigger piece of Howlite next your to filtered/bottled water and enjoy drinking blessed water.
Water is a live thing, as it was scientifically proven, it reacts to energies, thoughts, and sounds around it.
Howlite will help keep it ‘clean’ and it will infuse it with its many properties.
If you want, you can even crush it into fine dust and use it as eyeshadow or painting pigment.
Either way, you can use it however you see fit. Be creative, or intuitive, or both.
Follow your imagination and your intuition and see what it tells you – what is the best way for you to use Howlite, and how?
Caring for your Howlite
Howlite is 3.5 hardness on the Mohs scale, this means it’s softer than many other gems, thus it can suffer scratches more easily.
It dissolves in hydrochloric acid, its contact with harsh household chemical cleaners should be avoided.
Since it’s softer than common quartz, and regular dust contains traces of quartz, wiping off dust can eventually lead to reduced shine and surface scratches, but it will not influence its properties and effects.
The best way to clean Howlite is to put it under lukewarm or medium cold running water or to hold it above sage or frankincense for at least 2 minutes.
You can also place it in clean water and put it in direct sunlight in order for it to be utterly and entirely cleansed.
You can leave cleansed Howlite under Moonlight in order for it to ‘charge’ and enhance its properties and effects, but Howlite is a powerful and strong enough stone on its own.
Remembering sunlight for cleansing, Moonlight for charging.
You shouldn’t wear your Howlite jewelry when you exercise or do physical labor in order to avoid it scratching or cracking.
You should avoid ultrasonic cleaners and steamers.
Final Thoughts On The Meaning Of Howlite
This is a mighty strong, yet gentle stone and it has various uses that have powerful effects on both the mind and the body, but especially on the soul.
With its astral properties, Howlite keeps you connected to the higher realms and cosmic perspective so that you may traverse these confusing times with more ease.
Howlite makes sure that you are tethered to your inner wisdom and your own soul, no matter the hurdles and challenges that come upon your path in 3D.
Howlite also cleanses and blesses yourself, your surroundings, and the objects you often use.
This is a very useful and calming gemstone.
Its effects keep you in the “zone” and sharpen your focus and productivity while your body is resting.
Howlite really deserves more credit and popularity than it receives.
Hopefully, with this article, we helped draw more attention to this magical stone and its various properties. And hopefully, you’ll open up yourself to it and let it make your daily life easier and more magical.
Tell us your thoughts and experiences with Howlite, and blessed be.
Alan is the founder of Subconscious Servant. He has a passion for learning about topics such as spirituality and the metaphysical world. The thing he loves to explore most though is manifesting with the law of attraction ✨.