If you’ve been looking for a deep-dive guide to using crystals to cultivate self love then you’ve come to the right place!
Let’s face it, the modern world can be brutal, especially this year 2020.
An excess of challenges and struggles can leave us questioning our abilities, relying on friends who have ulterior motives, or just leave us feeling at rock bottom.
This is when self love is usually at its ultimate low, but, to bring us away from these feelings and out of rock bottom we need to learn to love ourselves, cut ourselves some slack, and get back up.
Sometimes we need a little spiritual help achieving this which is where the powerful world of crystals comes in to save the day!
What is Self Love?
Let’s start with a quick recap on what self love actually is as quite a few people wrongly use the term and self care interchangeably.
While self care can be an act of self love, self love is not only a self care act.
Instead, self love is loving yourself, but this doesn’t mean you need to go around kissing mirrors or anything!
Instead, self love is about knowing your worth, being able to champion your abilities, being your own advocate, safeguarding your wellbeing, and being forgiving towards yourself.
Self love is the same as the compassion we direct to others, only it is directed within instead.
The following list gives a few examples of self love and self love activities:
- Using positive affirmations
- Being vocal about your needs
- Being able to ask for help
- Recognizing your achievements
- Treating yourself (in a healthy way)
- Challenging yourself
Check out this article if you want to know more about the differences between self love and self care.
Why is Self Love so Important?
Self love is essential to living a happy and fulfilling life.
You cannot achieve all that you are meant to achieve unless you are able to act as your ‘best self’. You also cannot truly care for others if you cannot first care and love yourself.
Having a strong sense of self love also gives you the resilience to face challenges head on and may help you to overcome any mental health struggles you may experience in your life.
Why Crystals Are Powerful Tools for Cultivating Self Love
Lastly, before we dive into the list of handy-dandy crystals, I first want to address why crystals are so great at helping you to cultivate and manifest your wants and needs.
While of course there is a level of mystery shrouding crystals as with many other facets of the spiritual world, the following reasons give an indication of the many benefits of crystals.
- Crystals are Natures Battery: The crystalline structure of many natural minerals and rocks is thought to be natures’ battery. Able to store, absorb, and transmit energy, many crystals work in harmony with the user and can help to balance and open blocked chakras.
- Crystals Require Dedicating Time to Yourself: In order to get the most out of your crystals, you’ll need to make time for yourself. It takes the realization that you need help and the strength to act upon this need, both of which are already aspects of self love.
- Crystals Make you More Self Aware: By taking the time out of your way to work with crystals you also get the chance to work on yourself. Working with the energies of crystals can help you to learn more about your own energies and provides a greater awareness of self.
The Best Crystals For Self Love
As we’ve established so far in this article self love comes in many forms and therefore so do the crystals which may help you to cultivate a new love for yourself.
There are a variety of crystals on this list including common and uncommon crystals and each has their own special characteristics and features which are beneficial to cultivating self love.
1. Rose Quartz
This common pink stone is known as the ‘earth mother’ and as this title might suggest this crystal is known to be highly soothing and allows the user to heal from emotional pain which may be preventing them from loving themselves.
As a self love stone rose quartz also works to open and unblock the heart chakra.
Checkout this article if you want to know more about having a blocked heart chakra.
The yellow stone citrine is known as a magnet for prosperity and is most powerful when used at the beginning of something such as the year, lunar cycle, or a new endeavor.
By helping you to achieve the good things you deserve citrine helps to improve self confidence which ultimately leads to a more positive state of mind and then self love. It works to open the solar plexus chakra.
3. Clear Quartz
Clear quartz is an excellent stone because it is affordable, common, and can be used universally for almost all manifestation purposes.
Clear quartz is packed with cleansing energy which helps you to shake off negative feelings, old grudges and hang ups.
Think of it as the crystal version of blowing away the cobwebs!
Amethyst is a powerful helper on the journey towards self love because it is a deeply cleansing stone and prevents you from holding on to negative energies that could affect the way you see yourself or others.
Instead, amethyst allows us to connect with our higher selves and elevate ourselves above the troubles of the day-to-day and view things objectively.
5. Smoky Quartz
Smoky quartz is a stone that can be found in a variety of shades of black, brown, and grey.
Like other quartz stones, it is great at absorbing negative energy and can interrupt our own negative thought patterns or destructive habits.
It is also great for grounding and can be helpful in times of uncertainty where you may start to doubt your abilities.
6. Cobalto Calcite
This is a less-common stone that is pinkish in color and great for the cultivation of self love.
Cobalto calcite is known as the stone of ‘unconditional forgiveness’ and helps us to be more gentle when it comes to ourselves and our perceived failures.
Like pink quartz cobalto calcite also resonates with the heart chakra and helps us to learn to love ourselves in spite of our flaws.
7. Pink Topaz
Another stone with pinkish hue, pink topaz is a guiding stone.
It helps us to learn more about ourselves and start to love what we discover. By opening up our heart chakra, pink topaz allows us to achieve more meaningful love, connections, and relationships, starting with the love we have for ourselves.
This stone is known as the ‘stone of the compassionate heart’, and as we learned earlier, if we’re not compassionate to ourselves how can we love ourselves let alone anyone else?
Rhodochrosite helps us to heal from bad experiences and negative self-perceptions so that eventually the new love we have found can be extended outwards to benefit those we care about around us.
Like rose quartz, amazonite is a soothing stone that helps us to heal from raw emotional wounds and traumatic experiences.
Through supporting rational thinking amazonite helps you to view things more clearly, allowing you to think rationally and see yourself objectively.
This can be great for those of us who struggle with self love due to a warped inner image.
Aventurine is a green stone that resonates closely with the green color of the heart chakra which is the seat of love and forgiveness both for ourselves and for others.
Aventurine can help to improve self-confidence and prevent excessive self-criticism. Put simply, aventurine helps us to cut ourselves some slack!
Self-sabotage and self-destructive thoughts, patterns, and behavior are the largest roadblocks in many of our journeys to self love.
Rhodonite is a stone that helps to intercept this negative pattern giving old and frequently reopened wounds the chance to finally heal for good.
Rhodonite is also excellent at balancing your energy flow including your yin and yang as well as your chakras. Because of this, Rhodonite is commonly known as the ‘self love stone’.
Other Useful Crystals
There are many more crystals we could mention in detail during our exploration of self love, but for the sake of brevity here is a rundown of some extra crystals you may want to consider on your self love journey:
- Red Jasper
- Blue Kyanite
- Pink Tourmaline
How to Make the Most out of your Self Love Crystals
For many, the perfect way to use their crystals is simply to keep them nearby or even wear them as jewelry or a keychain. There are, however, a variety of other ways you can maximize the potential of your chosen crystals such as:
- When Meditating: Having crystals nearby, holding them, or even picturing them in your mind when meditating can be a great way to infuse your chosen stones with your wants and intentions which the crystal can emit at a later date, or your worries and fears which the crystal can store and diffuse for you. Reciting positive affirmations regarding self love such as ‘I have value’ or ‘I am worth forgiveness’ can help to amplify the power of your chosen stone.
- Chakra Work: You may choose to incorporate the chakra points with your meditation practices. Reiki healing incorporates this idea into its practice and has had proven benefits for many. As you’re looking to improve the love you feel for yourself you naturally want to place a crystal over your heart chakra. Lie down, relax, and feel the energy flow through you. Other beneficial chakras when it comes to self love are the root chakra (for grounding) and the solar plexus chakra (for confidence) so you may wish to try a combination of crystals in different chakra positions to give you the greatest benefit.
- Around The Home: As mentioned many people find that simply having crystals placed around their homes in targeted spots is enough to fulfill their needs. This is particularly true of cleansing crystals as aside from the workplace our homes are the space that we spend the most time in. This gives the crystals the chance to absorb our negative energies over time such as negative thought patterns and self-sabotage. You could also apply this approach to your office/workplace too!
- Manifestation Box: This is something I discovered recently when researching other spiritual topics and quite frankly it sounds like a brilliant idea! They say nothing is set in stone until you write it down so the idea of creating a whole box dedicated to your intentions is sure to make a big difference when manifesting or cultivating a need like self love.
- Self Care: You could add self love crystals into your self care routine. For example, placing crystals and candles around your bathtub and sinking in for a relaxing bubble bath is a great way to incorporate your crystals into your daily life with minimal effort.
Remember You’re Worth the Time!
You may be reading this article and coming up with many reasons why cultivating self love won’t work for you.
Maybe you don’t have enough time, maybe you don’t want to spend money, or maybe you’re afraid of failure.
I hate to give you some tough love, dear reader, but there’s never truly a perfect moment for looking after number one and in fact, it’s often the times when we feel frazzled or burned out that we’re most in the need of self love cultivation practices.
If you’re really struggling with the idea of going on a self love journey then take a baby step and start with some positive affirmations such as ‘I’m worth this’ or ‘I can do this’ or ‘I’m not the person I was before’.
There’s a whole variety of affirmations you can choose from and best of all they’re free!
Here’s a great article on affirmations that you may want to checkout!
If you’re worried about finances but do think that crystals are the way forward on your journey, then look towards some of the more affordable crystals such as various types of quartz on this list.
Quartz is a very common mineral and many spiritual shops and online retailers sell this type of crystal cheaply.
Either way, it’s important to remember that you have as much value as anyone else, and you need to start championing yourself and all your many achievements.
You matter and you deserve to be loved.
Lastly, I hope this article has been helpful for you and I hope you’re able to take your first intrepid steps forward on your self love adventure!