We all know that love is unpredictable – you don’t get to choose who you feel attracted to.
I’ve put together these 101 Opposites Attract quotes to illustrate that the heart just wants what it wants – regardless of what you think is fit for you.
We all grow up with an image of how the person who is fit for us should look, and oftentimes, this image is constructed on what we consider familiar and/ or safe throughout our life.
This can apply to a certain physical appearance, a personality type, hobbies and lifestyle, and so much more.
We are conditioned to look for someone who resembles us – has had a similar upbringing, maybe the same culture or physical features.
But what happens when Cupid decides to play differently, and all of a sudden, we’re attracted to someone who is very different than us?
The “opposites attract” is a saying as old as time… it must be that those ancient and wise storytellers noticed something, isn’t it?
Maybe they noticed that love cannot be put inside a box and that we don’t choose who we love, and oftentimes, chemistry appears in the most unexpected places.
Maybe they did notice that opposites attract and that people from different walks of life meet and fall in love head over heels with each other… because love knows no barriers!
Love does not take into account social barriers such as race, ethnicity, social status, country of origin, education, physical standard, or religion… love just exists.
And usually, when you fall in love with someone who is your opposite from one point of view, the love is more real and strong than ever.
Thus, let’s look at the following opposites attract quotes, and let’s allow real love to inspire us all!
Opposites Attract Quotes That Are Deep And Meaningful
1. “Together, we form a necessary paradox, not a senseless contradiction.” – Criss Jami
2. “Do opposites attract, or does like attract like? I guess it depends on what kind of life you want.”
3. “The reason as to why we are attracted to our opposites is because they are our salvation from the burden of being ourselves.” – Kamand Kojouri
4. “Take a close look at the person you’re in love with. They possess one feature that you definitely admire but do not have. It is subconscious, deeply-rooted admiration that makes us fall in love with someone”
5. “First, you meet someone – someone who is completely different from everyone around you. Someone who sees everything in a different light and forces you to shift, change your angle of vision, and observe everything anew, within and without. You think you can keep a safe distance from him. You think you can navigate your way through this beautiful storm until you realize, much too suddenly, you are thrust out into the open and, in fact, you control nothing.” – Elif Shafak
6. “Like the Yin-Yang model shows, the whole Universe is based on the fact that opposites attract”
7. “There are many ways that being attracted to someone, not like you can make your relationship more adventurous and interesting.”
8. “Love and Fear are polar opposites. Love originates from the soul, while Fear and worries and insecurities originate in the mind. Love is Heavenly, while Fear is Earthly. Love is a gift from Above, Fear is a burden from below.” – Donald L. Hicks
9. “White and black, hot and cold, day and night, dark and light… the whole world revolves around opposites. The human being is just a microcosmos of the Universe. No wonder that opposites attract”.
10. “Most people think of success and failure as opposites, but they both are products of the same process.” – Roger von Oech
11. “Could energy exist without matter or matter without energy? Matter and energy, the inert and the active, once considered opposites, were now known to be one.” – Patricia Highsmith
12. “The universe maintained a balance, moving first one way and then the other in a forever equalizing of opposites.”
13. “Two people of similar nature can never get along; it takes two opposites to harmonize.” – Ram Mohan
14. “We always seek our opposite, whether we know it or not. When we discover what that is, we can dissolve our arrogance.” – Michio Kushi
15. “We were different, sure, but isn't it precisely those gaps in which love, like a weed between paving stones, blooms and thrives?” – Pasha Malla
16. “Positive and negative electromagnetic fields just circle each other. Positive, negative, north, south, male and female. Looking for that electric moment. Magnet to magnet, opposites attract.” – Robin Green
17. “In reality, we are attracted to the person we have chosen not to become, an alternative adjustment to a chord that is nearly the same as our own.” – Sarah Emily Miano
18. “People think about who and what they don't want and attract more of the same.” – Rhonda Byrne
19. “It's this simple law, which every writer knows, of taking two opposites and putting them in a room together.” – Trey Parker
20. “If two people are so unalike as you and I, they are pleased when they discover points of agreement. But if they are as alike as Nietzsche and I, they suffer from their differences.” – H.F. Peters
21. “They were different in so many ways, and yet somehow it made them exactly right for each other.” – Lisa Kleypas
22. “The beauty of opposites is that they bring balance and harmony to the world. Without darkness, we cannot appreciate the light. Without sadness, we cannot fully experience joy. It is the tension and interaction between opposites that creates the dynamic and vibrant tapestry of life”
23. “But there is no energy unless there is a tension of opposites; hence it is necessary to discover the opposite to the attitude of the conscious mind.” – C.G. Jung
24. “Sometimes opposites attract, and find out they're not as opposites as they thought.” – Allie Brennan
25. “Do you believe in the fact that opposites attract? I do, anI and my husband are perfect proof. Our marriage would have never survived, had we not been so different from each other”
26. “Watching them was like watching the sunset and the sunrise, equally beautiful in different ways.” – Shannon A. Thompson
27. “Opposites generally create intense chemistry. There are more chances of fireworks when different people are together than similar personalities.” – Sonam Kapoor
28. “They told me not to marry outside my race, but I cannot help it. Love does not take race into account. When I take her hand in mine, it fits perfectly, even though it’s a different color.”
29. “Have you ever met a person who at first glance you're not attracted to but then you talk and with every word…they become more beautiful.” – Atticus
30. “I believe in the difference between men and women. In fact, I embrace the difference.” – Elizabeth Taylor
31. “Opposites attract, and the badder the boy, the more attractive he was to that good girl who couldn't help but be drawn to him.” – Lora Leigh
32. “We are attracted to people who express the qualities we deny or repress in ourselves.” – Shakti Gawain
33. “Two things of opposite natures seem to depend one on another, as logos depends on Eros, the day on night, the imagined on the real. This is the origin of change.” – Wallace Stevens
34. “Most of the time, we are attracted to people who don’t have the things that we have.” – Charles Lowery
35. “I was reading that lightning is a negative charge that comes from the friction that clouds carry. And since opposites attract, I would like to think that he was so positive the moment that he died, so happy, he pulled that bolt right out of the sky. I don’t know if that’s possible, but that’s what I believe.” – Chris Colfer
36. “All things had opposites close by, every decision a reason against it, every animal an animal that destroys it, the male the female, the positive the negative… Nothing could be without its opposite bound up with it.” – Patricia Highsmith
37. “We all attract certain people into our life who have developed qualities opposite to the ones we are most identified with.” – Shakti Gawain.
38. “It’s the things in common that make relationships enjoyable, but it’s the little differences that make them interesting.” – Todd Ruthman.
39. “My simple explanation of why we human beings, the most advanced species on earth, cannot find happiness is this: as we evolve up the ladder of being, we find three things: the first, that the tension between the range of opposites in our lives and society widens dramatically and often painfully as we evolve.” – Dr. Robin Lincoln Wood
Opposites Attract Quotes About Love
40. “Elle was technicolor chaos, and the feelings she inspired in Darcy were a hazard straight out of Pandora’s box.” – Alexandria Bellefleur
41. “I’m a poor thief, and you’re a princess, yet, when I look into your eyes, I see a whole new world.” – Aladdin
42. “She desired to give up everything familiar just to be a part of a world that was so different than hers. She would gladly give up the amazing underwater kingdom and her mermaid tail just to have those two legs that humans used for walking. She was so in love with him because he was so different from everything she knew”
43. “A man can't love you because you haven't read as many books as he has? He can't love you because you don't speak French or because you don't go to operas? You're telling me we have to fall in love with people who are just like us?”– Billie Letts
44. “She is fierce like a raging storm, and the truth is, they could name a hurricane after her. I, on the other hand, don’t even speak up to the waiter who brought me the wrong food. I love her because she completes me. She has everything I don’t have, and I have everything she doesn’t have. Together we form a whole.”
45. “It is the difference between men and women, not the sameness, that creates the tension and the delight.” – Edward Abbey
46. “Ginny who lived her life with hair in the breeze, Stillman who lived his with it under his hat. And he loved her so much the worse for it.” – Josh Weil
47. “I see love developing from friendship. Common ground is a strong basis for friendship. My husband is my best friend, and we have a lot in common even though we're admittedly different people.” – Veronica Roth.
48. “Seamed a certain way, they seemed just the same: she was an extrovert, with style stuck in the period she'd experienced the most fun; he was an introvert, with an intellect entwined at the harbor he'd ensured the safest.”– Criss Jami
49. “I love the thrill of being with someone so different than me. Everything is new, and you never know what to expect. It can’t get boring, and every day is a new adventure.”
50. “Opposites attract, and I think temperament is so fundamental that you end up craving someone of the opposite temperament to complete you.” – Susan Cain
51. “He was a poor boy, she had everything. He had to work all day long to eat a piece of bread in the evening; she was lavishing in a rich palace, eating good food and wearing the finest dresses ever sewn. Yet, he felt that for her, he could conquer the entire world.”
52. “It is not every day or every week or every month or every year that one person meets another who is their perfect foil, and it is not even every century that the pairing is a mortal and a god. It's more than simply love when it is a pair like this: it is balance, perfect balance, the push-pull of opposite forces that require each other. It is a sort of love that never grows old. Magic, magic, magic.” – Maggie Stiefvater
53. “How puzzlingly fitting one can be, a couple of opposites. She was loud and fiery; he was quiet and cold. She always defended him verbally; he always defended her physically.”- Criss Jami
54. “A boy made of stardust and selfishness; a girl filled with fire and fury at the world. We are a tangle of emotional wreckage, two broken messes thrown together, trying to navigate something we can barely comprehend.” – Julie Johnson
55. “You know, the opposites attract thing happens all the time, but so does the best friends thing. It's just a great kind of relationship in fiction.” – Veronica Roth
56. “His worn leather boots are a stark contrast to the white sneakers I wear almost daily. I realize how we look so very opposite: a tatted-up bookseller clad in leather and the sweetie-pie baker in a puffer jacket and thick-rimmed glasses. But when I look down at our clasped hands, my heart thunders again, as it has ever since the two of us got together. We fit together perfectly.” – Sarah Echavarre Smith
57. “My father, a Palestinian, and my mother, an Israeli, met in a bar in New York. Their encounter was a blue shift. An anomaly. A collision. In the end, I understand it is only for this we live. All I ever wanted was to love.” – Hannah Lillith Assadi
58. “On the surface, we're polar opposites. Under the skin, though, we're the same: people think they know what they're getting, and they're always wrong.” – Jodi Picoult.
59. “Opposites may attract, but it's the differences that keep the sparks flying” – Alan Young
60. “You were like sunshine and rain begetting rainbows, full of contradictions, like the intervals between light and shadow.” – Michael R. Burch
61. “When you meet someone so different from yourself, in a good way, it’s like fireworks in your heart all the time.” – Lisa Schroeder
62. “Leo had never expected that the woman who had formerly brought out the worst in him would now bring out the best in him. And he had never dreamed that his love for her would deepen to such proportions that there was no hope of controlling or restraining it. In the face of love this vast, a man could only surrender.” – Lisa Kleypas
63. “For Gascoigne and Clinch were not so dissimilar in temperament, and even in their differences, showed a harmony of sorts – with Gascoigne as the upper octave, the clearer, brighter sound, and Clinch as the bass-note, thrumming.” – Eleanor Catton
64. “Maybe that's what love is – a total contradiction that somehow balances.” – Tammara Webber
65. “When I met you, it was magic…we polar opposites, but attracted like we were magnets.” – Talib Kweli
66. “I don't think opposites attract. I think like attracts like. So I don't think that they do attract opposites. Only when you're talking about magnetic poles.” – Ashton Kutcher
67. “He was thought to believe that he was supposed to fall in love with someone from the culture, same skin color, same facial features, upbringing, and religion. Yet, the woman that would not leave his mind was nothing like that”.
Opposites Attract Quotes That Are Short And Sweet
68. “Love is just a collision of two different worlds”
69. “The angel is nothing without the demon.” – A.D. Aliwat
70. “He serves justice the best he can. serve revenge in the way it needs to be.” – S.T. Abby
71. “They were the right counterbalance to one another.” – Kelly Moran
72. “Masculinity and femininity attract one another, and their attributes are complementary” – Chris Jami
73. “Opposites do not share opposition.” – Raheel Farooq
74. “Every good girl loved a bad boy. It was a fact of life, a quirk of nature.” – Lora Leigh
75.”The most exciting attractions are between two opposites that never meet.” – Andy Warho
76. “Opposites attract because they are alike. They are alike in that they are opposites.” – Bashar
77. “Their encounter was a blue shift. An anomaly. A collision.” – Hannah Lillith Assadi
78. “As different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.” – Emily Bronte
79. “Opposite natures, as necessary to each other's existence as day and night. “ – Lisa Kleypas
80. “And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.” – Stephanie Meyer
81. “We fell in love, despite our differences, and once we did, something rare and beautiful was created.” – Nicholas Sparks
82. “Darling, your soul, fits where mine feels empty.” – Mustafa Tattan
83. “We need not think alike to love alike.” – David Terence
84. “Steve is very quiet, even shy. I am very gregarious. So, opposites.” – Jayne Meadows
85. “Opposites are not always contradictions. They can be complementary.”
86. “Simplicity and complexity need each other”
Funny Opposites Attract Quotes That Will Make You Smile
87. “You’re beautiful, and I’m not, but opposites attract, right?”
88. “Opposites attract and then drive each other insane.”
89. “They say opposites attract. I hope you meet someone who is good-looking, intelligent, and cultured.”
90. “At first, opposites attract. Then opposites attack.”– Rick Warren
91. “Opposites attract – and then aggravate.” – Joy Browne
92. “Opposites may attract, but I wouldn't put my money on a relationship of financial opposites.” – Suze Orman
93. “Marriage resembles a pair of shears, so joined that they cannot be separated; often moving in opposite directions, yet always punishing anyone who comes between them.” – Sydney Smith
94. “Why do men like intelligent women? Because opposites attract.” – Kathy Lette
95. “What the essential difference between man and woman is, that they should be thus attracted to one another, no one has satisfactorily answered.” – Henry David Thoreau
96. “Opposites attract – and then can't stand each other.” – Kenneth Kaye
97. “Opposites can attract, as in magnetism. Or explode, as in matter and antimatter.” – Peter David
98. “Like, you challenge me. You get me fired up. We're like steak and horseradish.” – Heidi Joy Tretheway
99. “If it's true that opposites attract, I should be looking for someone that gets up early and does stuff.”
100. “If opposites truly attract, I should end up marrying the most intelligent woman in the whole wide world!”
101. “Do opposites really attract, or did I just choose the wrong life partner?”
What Was Your Favorite Opposites Attract Quote?
Do you believe that opposites attract?
Do you have a story of a time when you fell in love with someone who was your opposite from many points of view?
Did your story have a happy ending or not? We would love to hear your story in the comment section below!
Also, we would like to know which of these opposites attract quotes is your favorite, so be brave and share your opinion with us!
Also, if you know another amazing quote that falls under this category, feel free to share it with us as well.
Alexandra, the head author at Subconscious Servant is a Psychologist, Reiki Therapist, and writer. She loves writing about any topic from Applied Psychology, Metaphysical and Spiritual healing, hoping that people on a spiritual, self-discovery journey will find guidance and light through her articles. If you want to read more about Alexandra, visit her full author bio here.