Is there life after death, or does it all just end suddenly, and the journey is over?
These powerful life after death quotes are meant to give you a more in-depth perspective on the issue of eternity – or the lack of it.
The perspectives of the afterlife are vast and complex. Most religions and philosophies claim that there is life after death.
However, they present different versions of how this life after death would look.
Christianity’s version of life after death talks about heaven, hell, and limbo.
According to this religion, when you die, you can go to one of these three places, according to what type of person you’ve been when you were alive.
If you’ve been a predominantly good person, you go to heaven. You go to hell if you’ve been quite the contrary – a not-so-nice person.
You go to limbo if you’ve been somewhere in the middle – not bad or good.
Other religions, such as Buddhism or Hinduism, promote the belief in reincarnation. The adepts of these religions don’t believe that we only live once.
They believe that we come to earth again and again in entirely different circumstances – different bodies, different nationalities, or financial statuses to learn different life perspectives and to pass different spiritual tests.
There is also the atheist perspective, which claims that we are just a physical body – which decomposes after death.
This point of view denies the existence of a soul which moves forward in one way or another.
On the other hand, modern, New-Age Spirituality adepts tend to believe more in the idea of reincarnation and in the fact that we could advance at different times in other parallel dimensions or universes.
I believe that the Universe is way too complex to believe that we have just one life that ends abruptly, and that was it.
I think the afterlife exists in one way or another – or maybe in a way that has not been discovered yet; thus, I invite you to have a glimpse of eternity and have a look with me at the following life after death quotes.
Empowering Life After Death Quotes
1. “Funny how it usually takes imminent death or tragedy to think about life in light of eternity, but that's what got me willing to explore.” – John Burke
2. “Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room, I shall be able to see.” – Helen Keller
3. “You live on Earth only for a few short years, which you call an incarnation, and then you leave your body as an outworn dress and go for refreshment to your true home in the spirit.” – Chief White Eagle
4. “Opening to the power of intention, you begin knowing that conception, birth, and death are all natural aspects of the energy field of creation.” – Wayne Dyer
5. “The grave itself is but a covered bridge, leading from light to light, through a brief darkness!” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
6. “Personally, I would be delighted if there were a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others and if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out.” – Carl Sagan
7. “If I believe in God and life after death and you do not, and if there is no God, we both lose when we die. However, if there is a God, you still lose, and I gain everything.” – Blaise Pascal
8. “Six weeks after his death, my father appeared to me in a dream… It was an unforgettable experience, and it forced me for the first time to think about life after death” – Carl Jung
9. “Death is not extinguishing the light; it only puts out the lamp because the dawn has come.” – Rabindranath Tagore
10. “What happens after death is so unspeakably glorious that our imagination and feelings do not suffice to form an approximate conception of it. The dissolution of our time-bound form in eternity brings no loss of meaning.” – Carl Jung
11. “Through the ages, man's main concern was life after death. Today, for the first time, we find we must ask questions about whether there will be life before death.” – Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
12. “There is no conclusive evidence of life after death, but there is no evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough, you will know, so why fret about it?” – Robert A. Heinlein
13. “In the past, our glorious visions of the future – heaven, paradise, nirvana – were thought to happen after death. The newer thought is that we do not have to die to get there. We are not speaking here of life after death in some mythical heaven, but life more abundant in real time in history. We are speaking of the next stage of our social evolution.” – Barbara Marx Hubbard
14. “We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.” – Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
15. “Death is simply a shedding of the physical body, like the butterfly shedding its cocoon. It is a transition to a higher state of consciousness where you continue to perceive, to understand, to laugh, and to be able to grow.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
16. “It is impossible to provide evidence of life after death to the five senses any more than it is possible to provide the five senses with evidence of non-physical reality. It cannot be done. The five senses, sight, hearing, taste, and smell, together form a single sensory system whose object of detection is a physical reality. This cannot detect non-physical reality. Humankind is beginning to be able to access data the five senses cannot provide.” – Gary Zukav
17. “I believe there are two sides to the phenomenon known as death, this side where we live, and the other side where we shall continue to live. Eternity does not start with death. We are in eternity now.” – Norman Vincent Peale
18. “Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.” – Oscar Wilde
19. “Man would indeed be poor if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.” – Albert Einstein
20. “What if life after death is all based on memory: you die, and you don't ascend on a bed of clouds to Jesus, but your brain has a terrain that it can use to propel itself further? It's more of a theoretical afterlife. If that's true, all of these theoretical afterlives of people could potentially interact or network. That space seems way more powerful and exciting than reality. This potential boundlessness is more of what god is to me.” – Blake Butler
21.“We sometimes congratulate ourselves when waking from a troubled dream; it may be so the moment after death.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
22. “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.” – Mark Twain
23. “Of course, you don't die. Nobody dies. Death doesn't exist. You only reach a new level of vision, a new realm of consciousness, a new unknown world.” – Henry Miller
24. “There exists a mountain of circumstantial evidence that consciousness survives bodily death. This is the kind of evidence that would stand up in a court of law. Some people believe that science needs better tools to quantify what consciousness is. Perhaps when we discover what consciousness is, we will be on the road to providing absolute scientific evidence that there is life after death.” – Jean Ritchie
25. “If you start parsing the cause-and-effect chain backward through time, eventually, you land in cosmology – does the story begin with the Big Bang or the out-of-nothing creation of the world by the word of a Southern Baptist god? And that question is even more fraught than any of the others. The stakes couldn't be any higher because not it's not just a question of life and death but also a question of life after death or eternal torture after death.” – Kyle Minor
Spiritual Reflections: Life After Death in Religion
26. “After death, you fly to heaven to be with God, the father.”
27. “After death, you go back home to heaven.”
28. “Death is nothing else but going home to God, the bond of love will be unbroken for all eternity.” – Mother Teresa
29. “When you die, you're escorted home by angels.”
30. “So finally, I came up with a thing that felt really pure, and I'm Christian, so when I hear about death, I have a lot of hope because I believe in Jesus and life after death, and John 3:16.” – Victoria Jackson
31. “The Biblical vision is not so much concerned with life after death but about life after life after death.” – N. T. Wright
32. “The day we fear as our last is the birthday of eternity.” – Seneca the Younger
33. “For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.” – William Penn
34. “When you die, you get to see the face of God.”
35. “Although we may trust God's promises for life after death and the certainty of a heavenly home, we must still face the reality of death.” – Billy Graham
36. “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” – J. K. Rowling
37. “Our hope in life beyond death is a hope made possible, not by some general sentimental belief in life after death, but by our participation in the life of Christ.” – Stanley Hauerwas
38. “When I stand before God at the end of my life, I will hope that I will not have a single bit of talent left and can say, ‘I used everything you gave me.” – Erma Bombeck
39. “The Baptists believe in The Right to Life before you're born. They also believe in Life After Death, but that is a privilege, and you have to earn it by spending the interim in guilt-ridden misery. At an early age, I decided that living a life of pious misery in the hope of going to heaven when it's over is a lot like keeping your eyes shut all through a movie in the hope of getting your money back at the end.” – A. Whitney Brown
40. “Life is eternal, love is immortal, and death is only a horizon, and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.” – Rossiter W. Raymond
41. “For Christians, through Christ, there is life eternal after death.”
42. “Contemplating life after retirement and life after death can help you deal with contemporary challenges.” – Russell M. Nelson
43. “You're a religious man;… You believe in God and life after death. I also believe. When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps, they ask us, ‘What have you done?' there will be many answers. You will say, ‘I became a jeweler.' Another will say, ‘I smuggled coffee and American cigarettes.' Another will say, ‘I built houses.' But I will say, ‘I didn't forget you.'” – Simon Wiesenthal
44. “What makes people want to live forever? I don't think it's limited to our materialistic society of today. Even in Christian times, they wrote about eternal life after death. So even in death, there was a discussion of eternal life. I think this is a universal human desire. It's a horrible thought that our conscious being – with our beautiful bodies – will one day decay and die. I don't think it so much has to do with the fear of meeting God, as it is just the thought that this all ends.” – Michael Savage
45. “In the New Testament, outside the Gospels and the beginning of Acts, again and again, the fact of Jesus’ resurrection is closely linked to our own ultimate resurrection, which isn’t life after death – it’s life after life after death.” – N. T. Wright
46. “I'm an optimist, so I believe in some sort of life after death; I don't know what kind.” – Mike Dirnt
47. “It is more beautiful to trust in God. The beauty in this world is all from his hand, declaring the perfection of taste; he is the author of all form; he clothes the lily, he colors the rose, he distills the dewdrop, he makes the music of nature; in a word, he organized us for this life, and imposed its conditions; and they are such guaranty to me that, trustful as a little child, I leave him the organization of my Soul and every arrangement for the life after death. I know he loves me.” – Lew Wallace
48. “Whatever life after death is, being with Christ which is far better, being in Paradise like the thief, etc., the many rooms where we go immediately… that is the temporary place. The ultimate life after life after death is the resurrection in God's new world.” – N. T. Wright
49. “I start thinking about life after death. I've got to quit thinking about it because it's very deep. Very deep. Sometimes you start thinking about it and don't feel like you want to be alive, so I don't like to get all quiet.” – David Ortiz
50. “Life after death might become, through its very endlessness, a burden to our spirits, if it were not to be filled with the infinite variety and freshness of God's love. Some have shrunk from its very infinitude because they have not realized what God's love can make of it.” – Maltbie Davenport Babcock
Quotes on Life After Death and Reincarnation
51. “After death, you must decide whether to be reborn or continue on your journey.”
52. “Your life after death is determined by the karma you created in life.”
53. “When you die, you prepare to be reincarnated into a new life.”
54. “Die happily and look forward to taking up a new and better form. Like the sun, only when you set in the west can you rise in the east.” – Rumi
55. “Is death the last sleep? No, it is the last and final awakening.” – Walter Scott
56. “Christians must return to the great story that has its fulfillment in life after death, so we may live and die well in the light of our extraordinary hope that enables us to embrace the ordinary lives God gives us here and now.” – Michael Horton
57. “I consider death as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning.” – Benjamin Franklin
Brief but Powerful Life After Death Short Quotes
58. “For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.” – Khalil Gibran
59. “Do not stand at my grave and cry; I am not there; I did not die.” – Mary Elizabeth Frye
60. “After you die, you can do anything and go anywhere.”
61. “Someone dying asks if there is life after death. Yes, comes the answer, only not yours.”
E. L. Doctorow
62. “It's just as idiotic to say there is no life after death as it is to say there is one.” – Jeanne Moreau
63. “Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room.” – Joanna Lumley
64. “Life after death is a bigger adventure than life on Earth.”
65. “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” – Norman Cousins
66. “Life after death is more colorful and dimensional than life on Earth.”
67. “The unconscious psyche believes in life after death” – Carl Jung
68. “Resurrection means bodily life after ‘life after death,’ or, if you prefer, bodily life after the state of ‘death’” – N. T. Wright
69. “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.” – Will Rogers
70. “Many religions talk about a beautiful life waiting beyond this life.”
71. “It is worthwhile dying to find out what life is.” – T. S. Eliot
72. “Where you go after death is determined by where you go in life.”
73. “There is life after death, and everyone eventually discovers this truth.”
74. “After I die, I want to travel to the moon and just sit there looking at the Earth's spin.”
75. “Death is the greatest illusion of all.” – Rajneesh
76. “Life after death is like stepping through a door into another world.”
77. “Death is no more than passing from one room into another.” – Helen Keller
78. “A new adventure begins your life after death.”
79. “Life after death is the beginning of your next life.”
80. “When you die, you review your life and judge your actions.”
81. “After death, your soul rejoins loved ones who died before you.”
82. “The soul is eternal and lives on after physical death.”
83. “After death, you travel through a tunnel of light to another world.”
84. “Life after death is spent in a vibrant and colorful world.”
85. “After death, you travel to another world where loved ones greet you.”
86. “When you die, you travel to the stars and beyond.”
87. “Life after death has many worlds for you to explore.”
88. “There is a joyful life after death for those who have a joyful life.”
89. “Life after death is not what everyone thinks; it's better!”
90. “Life after death means you can become whatever you wish in a new life.”
91. “Life after death is full of light and love.”
92. “After death, you understand the things you thought were important actually weren't.”
93. “After death, you rest and decide where you wish to go.”
94. “After death, I want to sit on a cloud for a while and just watch the world go by.”
95. “Life after death is unknown and mysterious.”
96. “Death is not the end; your soul continues.”
97. “Life after death means you continue to exist.”
98. “When you die, loved ones greet you in the next life.”
99. “Life after death is the elephant in the living room that we are not supposed to notice.” – Dinesh D'Souza
100. “Life after death should be considered a luxury – a chance to learn what you’ve done right and wrong”
101.” We're all a little afraid of death; we're afraid because no matter how old you are, you're always making plans and don't want to be interrupted.” – Louis Zamperini
102. “Death is not the end of life; it is the beginning of an eternal journey.” – Debasish Mridha
103. “Death can come at any age, but the pride of life fools a person into thinking that day is far away.” – John Buttrick
104. “The real question of life after death isn't whether or not it exists, but even if it does, what problem this really solves.” – Ludwig Wittgenstein
105. “If we have loved well while we were alive, there is life after death here-our love will go on for generations.” – Desmond Tutu
What's Your Pick? The Best Life After Death Quotes
I hope these quotes have given a small glimpse of what eternity could be, whether you resonate with the spiritual approach or the Christian one.
Or maybe you are flexible in your approach, and you just believe in the source of Universal energy, whatever it may be called, and also, you know that whether you call it hell and heaven or the next life, it is just a metaphor for the same thing…
We would love to read in the comments section below which life-after-death quote was your favorite.
Also, if you have another great quote regarding this theme that has inspired you, feel free to share it with us.
Alan is the founder of Subconscious Servant. He has a passion for learning about topics such as spirituality and the metaphysical world. The thing he loves to explore most though is manifesting with the law of attraction ✨.